Friday, January 14, 2011

The Pork Roll

More commonly identified with Vietnamese culture than its own flag!

It never cease to amaze me what we take for granted - it's true, we always want what we don't have and when we own it and it's easily obtainable, we take it for granted and don't appreciate the the value.

Yes- my undervalued subject in this case is the famous Vietnamese Pork Roll!!!

When my friends from Perth was in Sydney (Cabramatta) last time, they both bought 2 x pork rolls each because in Perth, with such a small Asian community (or lacking people altogether) they don't make these rolls fresh and are preserved in bags!
I was astonished to see such delight and happiness bestowed upon such a simple feed...
My non-Vietnamese friends always rave on about how much they crave and love this thing we refer to as the "pork roll".
I used to wonder what the big deal is - a pork roll to me is something I'd eat as a last resort when there is no food at home and is dead broke!

Until yesterday, when i actually "craved" for it that I realised what the fuss IS all about!

The common name for this is pork roll, however, through times, people have substituted the pork for other meat (meat balls - siu mai, Vietnamese ham - gio etc). Due to the high demand and popularity of the rolls, there have been an increase in bread shops and even patisseries which now stocks them (including the popular Taste cafe). Of course, these are just "spin offs" and if you want the best and the original, then head to a where a local Vietnamese would buy it from :)

I personally like mine with a lot of carrots and extra chilli!!! I miss how Bankstown used to offer a free grass jelly drink with every pork roll :(

x - C



No comments:

Post a Comment